Professor Dhavendra Kumar, MBBS, MD, DCH (RCPSI), MMedSci, FRCPI, FRCP, FRCPCH, FACMG, DSc.(HC) The William Harvey Research Institute, Bart’s and The London School of Medicine & Dentistry, Queen Mary University of London, UK.
Highly acclaimed, globally acknowledged genetic and genomic clinician with special interests in clinical genetics and genomic medicine. He is credited with landmark contributions and achievements in genetic-inherited diseases of children, hereditary familial conditions of heart
and blood vessels, applications of novel genomic principles and technology in genomicprecision medicine and public and population health genomics.
He is honoured with Doctor of Science, Honoris Causa by the alma mater, KGMU Lucknow, Hind Rattan International NRI Award, the GAPIO-Siemens Medical Innovation Award and the Life Time Achievement Award of the King George’s Medical University Alumni UK. He is widely applauded for his sincere and persistent efforts for medical genetics as the integral part of medical teaching and practice across India and in other developing nations.
Notable services, achievements and contributions include:
- Author/Editor of several peer reviewed research papers, articles and books. Main book titles include Genetic Disorders of the Indian Subcontinent; Genomics and Clinical Medicine; Principles and Practice of Genomic Medicine; Cardiovascular Genetics & Genomics- Principles and Clinical Practice; Oxford Specialist Handbook Inherited Cardiac Disease; Medical & Health Genomics; Genomics and Society; Clinical Molecular Medicine-Principles & Practice; Genomic and Molecular Medicine e-book series and Advances in Genetics series.
- The ‘Medical and Health Genomics’ book was ‘Highly Commended’ at the British Medical Association Annual Medical Book Awards (see Photo with Mrs. Kumar and Prof. Stylianos Antonarakis, Co-Auhtor, Geneva, Swtizerland
- Founding Editor in Chief of bio-medical journals- Genomic Medicine (KluwerSpringer); Applied and Translational Genomics (Elsevier); Genomic and Molecular Cardiology (GMF-UK) and Current Trends in Genomic Medicine (GMF-UK)
- Founded/ lead the Indo-UK Genetic Education Forum committed to enhancing the knowledge and clinical skills base for diagnosis & management of wide ranging genetic-inherited diseases.
- Founded-Lead the UK India Genomic Medicine Alliance (UKIGMA) to promote and enhance mutually beneficial collaboration-partnership in the fast-emerging field of genomic medicine and healthcare. The alliance is closely involved with the Genome India project through the Department of Science and Technology.
- Established close links with India’s leading medical scientific academic institutions through the Memorandum of Understanding with KGMU-Lucknow and the JSS Higher Education Research Academy, Mysore, Karnataka. Main focus of MOU is to enhance and strengthen genomic and molecular elements in higher medical education and research. Similar links are under development with PGI, Chandigarh; AIIMS, Jodhpur and CMC, Vellore.
- Holds honorary Professorial titles and academic links for higher genomic education and research in the Capital Medical University, Beijing; Shri Mata Vashno Devi University-Jammu Kashmir, AIIMS-New Delhi, SGPGI-Lucknow, KGMU-Lucknow, Chettinad University-Chennai, Kasturba University-Manipal); and JSS Higher Education
and Research Academy-Mysore.
- Funder and established the ‘Young Investigator Gold Medal’ to enhance research & academic contributions of the junior Faculty of KGMU, Lucknow.
- Established and leads the new KGMU Alumni International Seminars series sponsored by the Genomic Medicine Foundation on behalf of the KGMU Alumni UK.
- Continue and expand links with the India through active participation in collaborative projects, mainly the Genome India, UK-India Health Data and Bio -informatics Joint Centre, and served as a panelist in the PM Hon. Narinder Modi’s Global Summit of Indian Overseas Researchers and Academicians ( Vaishvik Bhartiya Vaigyanik ‘VAIBHAV’ Summit 2020.
Leading ambassador for harnessing the genetic and genomic advances for improved healthcare in developing nations. Author-editor of the Oxford reference book ‘Genomics and Health in Developing World’, a unique resource for genetic-genomic status across all major developing nations.
Served on the World Health Organization (WHO) Advisory Committee for genomic healthcare in developing countries. Founding member of the UNESCO Human Variome Project, formerly HUGO Council member and the founding Editor in Chief of the HUGO Journal. Founded/leads the Genomic Medicine Foundation UK (www.genomicmedicine.org).
Continues to serve internationally through the flagship project Global Consortium for Genomic Education aims to enhance and empower healthcare providers in the developing world through genetic-genomic education and training.
In addition to services to Medicine and Healthcare, Prof. Kumar has also actively engaged with many social and community welfare activities with notable achievements and recognition. Some of these roles include-
- Served as the President of the Hindu Samaj South Yorkshire District and developed a large dedicated Indian Community Centre along with the traditional temple in the city of Sheffield, South Yorkshire, England, UK.
- Founded Sheffield Multi-Faith Forum that was recognised by the Archbishop of Canterbury, the Head of Church of England promoting freedom and place to pray or worship across the UK wide hospitals, educational institutions and professional establishments.
- Founder of the India Wales Club for secular socio-cultural identity and welfare of the UK Indian diaspora
- Organised and led the 150th Mahatma Gandhi Birth Anniversary’ grand event in Cardiff, UK
- President-elect of the Cardiff Rotary Club, one of the oldest clubs founded in 1917.
- Serves on the advisory board of many other charitable organisations.
For other information or details please visit